- Occupation:Student, Professional, Retired
- Time commitment:Hours
- Duration:Short-term, Medium-term
- Familiarity with EA:New, Familiar, Very Familiar
One of the simplest ways to make a difference is donating money to one of the organizations you think will do the most good with it.
This is easier said than done — identifying the best charities is complicated work — but we’re here to help.
Also, taking the time to learn more is a fantastic investment: the best charities are much better than the rest. You'll do a lot more good by thinking carefully before you give.
Giving What We Can (GWWC) has the best overall resource on effective giving. They explain how to find good charities, and also suggest specific charities to look at. We recommend reading that page before you finish this one. Seriously.
If you still have questions after that, you might consider:
- Reading GWWC's guide to charity evaluators, which adds useful context to the previous post.
- Reading donation writeups on the EA Forum, to see how others chose where to give.
- Asking a [question] on the Forum, so that people can suggest donation strategies based on your goals.
Finally, if you want to ask a question privately, you can reach out to us. We might be able to connect you with someone who can offer advice for your specific case.