August 17, 2018
In this discussion from EA Global 2018: San Francisco, Sam Carter and Joe Huston discuss universal basic income: what we know about it, what we'd like to know about it, and what research we're working on to bridge the gap. A transcript of their talks, including their answers to audience questions, is below. We have lightly edited it for readability.
August 13, 2018
In this fireside chat from EA Global 2018: San Francisco, Will MacAskill asks Holden Karnofsky of the Open Philanthropy Project about a wide range of topics. The conversation covers Open Phil's strategy and current focuses, cause prioritization, Holden's work habits and schedule, and early wins from Open Phil's first couple years of grantmaking. A transcript of their discussion is below, which we have lightly edited for readability.
August 9, 2018
In this talk from EA Global 2018: San Francisco, Dr. Crystal Watson shares foundational thinking about Global Catastrophic Biological Risks, how the Center for Health Security at Johns Hopkins is working to better understand and reduce them, and how effective altruists may be able to get involved. This is a transcript of Crystal's talk, and her answers to questions from the audience, which we have lightly edited for readability.
August 7, 2018
In this talk from EA Global 2018: San Francisco, Persis Eskander explores the most important questions in wild animal suffering, how to approach them, and how different answers might motivate our priorities. This is a transcript of Persis's talk, and her answers to questions from the audience, which we have lightly edited for readability.
August 7, 2018
- Almost 50% of tickets have already been sold for EA Global: London, which takes place on 26-28 October 2018.
- CEA have announced their initial plans for the new EA Forum, which include sorting by quality of posts, a community subforum, and a new karma system, alongside much else.
- Several EA-aligned organizations are hiring, including BERI, FHI, and GiveWell.
July 31, 2018
In this 2018 talk, Will MacAskill invites the participants of EA Global San Francisco to stay curious, and explores the tension between more goal-focused and more exploratory communities. This is a transcript of Will's talk, which we have lightly edited for readability.
July 11, 2018
- The Centre for Effective Altruism (CEA) is hiring for a variety of roles.
- Peter Hurford and Marcus A. Davis have created Priority Wiki, a cause prioritization wiki anyone can edit which categorizes particular interventions within broader causes.
- Applications are now open for Effective Altruism Global: London, which takes place on 26-28 October.
May 10, 2018
- Joey Savoie introduced some empirical data to what extent value drift might be happening within the community. Darius Meissner shared some suggestions of how value drift can be prevented or reduced.
- Submissions were open for the academic poster session taking place at EA Global: San Francisco (June 8-10).
- CEA announced Larissa Hesketh-Rowe has moved from COO to CEO. CEA published more about their current thinking, including their models of community building, and were hosting an operations forum from May 24-28.
April 13, 2018
- Currently there’s an unusually large number of operations positions open in the effective altruism community.
- The theme for this year's EA Global conference is Stay Curious, and it will be targeted mainly to people already familiar with core ideas in Effective Altruism.
- Dates and locations for EAGx conferences this year have been announced!